Monday, July 6, 2015

Unicomp Ultra Classic 104 impression

Time to test out the good ol-buckling spring keyboard from Unicomp.  Yes, the key chatter during the course of normal typing brings back memories, but I think I am a little unprepared as to how I will respond to this.  The keys are still pretty hard to press.  There’s a lot of chatter going on when I start to type fast due to the fingers gliding on the keycaps.  Like the Topre keyboard, I think this one will take some more time for me to get used to in order to have a meaningful impression.  I have been wrong a few times about first impression with the keyboards.  So, I am a little hesitant to jump into conclusions.  It’s as tough as I remembered.  So, I can definitely see what this would not be a popular switch among touch typists or those who prefer the golden silence over cacophony.  Now, what’s music and cacophony is a matter of personal taste.  I think the sound of the spring is somewhat musical, but this is not exactly Mozart’s symphony either.  I like the sound coming from the brown or the Matias tactile (or clicky) the most thus far.

Anyway, this is a really interesting experience because phantom typing and actually seeing the words appear on the screen are two different experiences.  I was able to type rather quickly just putting it on top of boxes and go.  Now, when I am actually doing input, I am not able to go as fast because now, mistakes are obvious.  It’s not that the keys are not responsive, but my fingers are getting tired.  Time to build up the finger muscles.  Wow, this is wearing me out.  I wonder if I can do this day in and day out.  However, I do need to work out some more in order to put this keyboard through a real test.  So, I will have another impression soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment