Wednesday, July 1, 2015

So, what's my favorite thus far after testing a few different kind of switches?

So far with the mechanical keyboards tryout, I have been privileged to test quite a few different kind of mechanical switches based keyboards plus a few other non-mechanical types as well.  So, what's my favorite thus far?  After all this time, the Cherry MX brown is still my favorite thus far.  It has gotten a lot of different things right and very few weaknesses.  So, I would say that it's a pretty good overall package.

I have come around concerning the blue switches.  At first, I was kind of disappointed with it because of its unusually high chatter pitch.  That came as a shock to the system as I mentioned numerous times.  However, I am a sucker for clicky switches and so I stuck around long enough to come to really enjoy typing on Cherry MX blue switches.  Opposite of the blue, I was initially smitten by Topre switches, but that starstruck feeling dissipated rather quickly.  I struggled mightily with its heightened sensitivity and the ergonomic weighted keys just didn't click with me, no pun intended.  I do intend to retest Topre keyboards in the future because I really want to give it a fair shake like I have with the blue.  However, for now, I should say that Topre has been knocked down a few pegs because of my difficulty with its sensitivity and the blue has ascended along with the Matias quiet switches up a few notches.

My journey with Matias switches has been the most interesting thus far.  I want to love the Matias tactile switches, but the wobble and jitters simply kicked me to the curb with me sobbing.  It's like you want things to work out, but just can't.  On the other hand, my second round test with the Matias quiet switch was a revelation.  The switch has just about everything I love about the Matias tactile, but just does it in a gentler, quieter and more stable way.  If the wobble and jitters are even more under control, I will say that it will supplant the Cherry MX brown as my top switch choice today.  Close, but no cigar....  Sorry, but that's how the cookie crumble.

So, MX brown's still on top, but the lead isn't exactly big since the Matias quiet is within shouting distance.  Also, I intend to test an Unicomp keyboard with the classic buckling spring mechanism.  So, who knows what that will bring.  I will keep you posted.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment