Friday, August 14, 2015

Topre Realforce 104UG impression, round 2

Here we go with another round about the 45g, high key raised for data accuracy.  The keys are indeed lighter than the 55g version.  I am starting to get a hang of this keyboard and it’s starting to click with me.  The learning curve can rather steep for someone like me because of the unusual key cap structure that is unlike anything else out there.  However, this kind of tactile feedback helps one to identify the keys without looking at the keyboard.  I think a lot of thoughts have went into developing these keycaps.  Kudos to Topre on coming up with another interesting winkle on the keyboard front.  The different keycaps feel for each row and different key cap feel for each of the home row keys where the fingers rest is in some way a positive thing.  I am slowly learning my way around the keys.  There’s an adaption curve.  There is no question about it.  I thought it might be deep, but it’s not as bad as I first thought.  I still bump into keys and make very minor key mistakes just like the ergo.  Some of the keys are just too sensitive for my taste still.  However, the higher keys hides that problem a bit better because the keys are uniformly weighted.  So, a bump on Q is less likely to activate A, but I still do so sometimes.  It’s getting better thou.  So, that’s good news I suppose.

Now that I am starting to glide on the keys by feel and don’t have to depend on quick glances to make sure I am in the right place is helping somewhat for typing accuracy and velocity.  Still, I feel a little strange here and there because I have not completely adapted to the locations and different tactile sensation for each different keys.  Anyhow, I am making some positive gain in the direction and I will keep going at it for a while and see if this keyboard deserve its high end price tag or not.  It’s even more expansive than the plain 45g or 55g uniform version.  My hands are not tired from using this keyboard at all.  So, if I do need to type a lot of stuff, this keyboard is an obvious choice once I overcome the key cap handicap....

No comments:

Post a Comment