Monday, August 31, 2015

So, where does Topre fit in the picture now? It’s complicated….

To be honest, Topre is an interesting beast to evaluate.  Just like Cherry MX, there’s a few varieties to keep things interesting.  They are all based in the same technology, but Topre uses various arrangements of key weights and key cap feels to create various classes of products.  I easily adapted to some and had hard times with others as chronicled in the blog.  However, at this point, I think I have seen enough to offer an opinion.

There is no doubt about it.  This is the smoothest switch technology I have experienced thus far.  There’s almost no tactile sensation when the switch is activated.  The switch is not linear either, but has smooth slightly wavy force-distance curve, but almost flat resistance unlike say a Cherry MX Red, which is just a spring system.  So, if one like the more gentle approach to life and typing, this is good type to use.

Topre feels like it’s the fastest off the block, sometimes I think it’s trying to read my mind and sometimes succeed and sometimes fail spectacularly.  When that happens, much annoyance.  So, to me, this switch is very polarizing.  On one hand, I really appreciate its Zen like design philosophy, but on the other, I just don’t like some of its virtues.  Matias is its opposite; it’s complex, bumpy, whimsical and almost too eager to please.  So, I would say instead of the focusing only on the switch, I would take a look at the complete package as I advocated before.  I enjoy using some Topre keyboards while another Topre arrangement makes me rather angry.  I didn’t think I would ever get angry at computer peripherals, but it managed to do so.  So, I have high praises for the uniform weighted keyboards and will avoid the ergonomic weighted one like a plague.  Again, this is highly personal and one must experience a Topre keyboard one way or another.  No matter how ever one feels after testing or trying one, it enriches the whole typing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment