Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Remembering the old classic Model M keyboard, 1391401

Wow, that brings back memories.  The IBM Model M 1391401 keyboard is considered the grand-pupa of modern mechanical keyboards.  The famous buckling spring mechanism is quite an ergonomic engineering feat.  So far, it's unique feel has not been replicated.  I haven't had too many opportunities to interact with genuine IBM keyboards back in the 20th century.  The first time I touched an IBM made keyboard was my aunt's IBM PC (yes, the original).  It was a Model F, with 83 keys instead of the more modern 101 keys setup.  All I remember was the key was super hard to push.  Remember, I was just a little shrimp back then.  I never understood why the keys are so hard to push.  I felt like I was about to launch the Space Shuttle every time when I press a key.  Yeah, I was just a kid, what did I know.  Besides, the PC was for playing games with the cousins right?

Anyhow, later, on I did get a chance to use the IBM Model M keyboard for school work on the huge PS/2 Model 80.  The keyboard was a massive block of metal and super loud keys.  It was as hard to press as I remembered as a child.  I mostly used softer type keyboards made by BTC back then.  The BTC keyboards were really different from today's rubber dome as well.  It used spring, foam and foil pairing as key switch.  Therefore, the keys are very light and not very tactile.  Later, I learned typing on a traditional type writer and thus I pounded those poor keyboards out of habit.  The space bar was rather crooked from much abuse if I recall.  Still, I most certainly didn't appreciate Model M's finer quality then.  In the early 1990s, IBM stopped making the Model M keyboards and contracted it out to Lexmark (IBM's spin-off).   After a while, Lexmark stopped make them as well.  So, I missed a chance to truly experience and appreciate its greatness back in its heyday.

The good thing is that those keyboards were so well built that most of them still work today.  Thus, there's a thriving used market for them.  Just check eBay and see.  :)  There are even specialty stores such as clickykeyboards.com dedicated to restoring the model Ms and reselling them.  No one made new ones anymore and then, there's Unicomp....

3 comments:

  1. I was shocked to learn that my favorite keyboard, the IBM 1391401 is actually a MEMBRANE keyboard! Clicky buckling spring mechanisms or no, they keys press down on a membrane. The keys work fine but now there is a breach in one of the traces on the membrane and so all the keys that are associated with that trace (G,H, up arrow, apostrophe, and a few more, are non-functional. Guess I'll try conductive paint to repair it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, the spring itself does not make the electrical connection, but the rocker plate on the bottom. The more I think about it, the more ingenious the design is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really very happy to say,your post is very interesting to read.I never stop myself to say something about it.You’re doing a great job.Keep it up.

    Membrane Switch keyboard

    ReplyDelete