Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Topre Realforce 55g, TKL keyboard impression round 2

Since I am familiar with Topre switches now, the 55g keyboard just really seemed natural.  Just as the 45g version, I am much more accurate with this keyboard than with the ergonomically weight version simply because I am much more used to even force necessary to activate the switches across the board.  No pun intended.  Another real bonus is that this key caps are the regular cylindrical shaped key caps.  So, if one's not interested in the high key setup, this is a good one to get.  The PBT with dye sublimation feels nice with no different feeling when gliding across the key cap legend surface like some of the key caps with UV coating or laser etched.  So, it’s a nice smooth, consistent feeling.  The weight is a little higher.  So, if I do bump another key by accident, I won’t usually activate it.  This really does cut down on the typo errors that I was having with the ergo keys.

For some reason, Topre doesn’t market a uniform 55g 104 keys full size keyboard.  I know that they do make them.  Deskhority has a nice list of all the models Topre has made under the Realforce brand.  Anyhow, this gives me an opportunity to experiment and try out a ten-keyless (TKL) setup.  Since the layout is no different than the standard 104 key setup on the left side.  There’s nothing new to report.  However, the number pad is gone.  So, the keyboard is shorter length wise and I can put my mouse or trackball closer.  Therefore, there is some ergonomic advantage for a smaller keyboard after all.  Although I use the alpha-key set more, I do use the number pad sometimes to enter numbers.  I am just more used to the number pad, then hunt for the keys across the top.  So, this keyboard may not be Excel’s best buddy when I need it.  However, I can live with it since I just mentally treat it as a laptop keyboard.  All the navigation keys are present on the right side.  So, the arrow keys, page up/down, etc are all present.  I must say that I like the TKL setup unless I am doing some heavy number entry.  For this reason, Trope makes dedicated number pad.  Guess what; they do cost an arm and a leg as well.  Go figure….

So far, I have quite a favorable impression for the Topre Realforce TKL keyboard with uniform 55g key weights.  This very much a difference experience with the ergo weighted Topre keyboard.  This is the closest something ever got near my favorite Cherry MX brown switches based Das Keyboard.  If it has some media-control keys like the Das Keyboard, the Das Keyboard 4 Pro may find itself demoted after some more long term testing!  I will continue to test and tryout this keyboard under various conditions and see how it stand up to the test.  For now, Das Keyboard’s spot on my desktop is safe, but it should be checking its 6.

Topre Realforce TKL comes in two different color versions and are available from Elitekeyboards.com, NCIX sometimes and Amazon.com.  Handy links are listed below if you are looking to purchase one from Amazon.com to support this site.  Thanks!

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 55g (White/Gray) (SE08T0)

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 55g (Black) (SE18T0)

No comments:

Post a Comment