Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Really complicated……

For me at this point, Cherry MX Brown is still the standard.  It’s practical and doesn’t have any glaring weakness, perhaps only on the smoothness front since its tactile feedback is more akin to a scratch than a bump.  However, I think a 55g or 45g Topre keyboard with uniform weighting come close to dethroning it from my desktop.  No quite however, because of the price.  For every Topre keyboard, one can buy probably 2 or so Cherry MX based keyboards.  So, I think an apt analogy is indeed luxury cars.  The Topre is more or less the Mercedes Benz convertible where the Cherry MX is more the Honda Odyssey.  Both will get you to places.  One can haul a volleyball team comfortably while the other will get there in style and opulence with just two.  Matias is kind of like that plucky mini-Coop car and Model M is like the Ford F150.  I am in more of the mini-van style right now, but that might change later on.

Do I love typing on the Topre keyboard?  Absolutely, especially if someone foot the bill and if it’s one with the uniform weighted keys.  Do I love typing on the Cherry MX brown keyboard?  Yup and I might be able to afford to get one and another one for work with a completely different feel.  :)  I think I just have a love-hate relationship going with Topre switch keyboards.  I mostly love Cherry MX browns.  There are just so much more options available to me as Cherry MX family are some of the most popular switches out there.  Therefore, it simply makes more sense from a pragmatic point of view.  But man, that Topre sometimes just does everything right, however rarely it does so.  Then when it all clicks, that’s indeed as close to typing heaven as one can be.  Now, I just need to figure out what are the trigger conditions….

No comments:

Post a Comment