Thursday, January 21, 2016

Hands on impression of Cherry MX linear switches

Continuing my conquest to at the minimal, try out how each of the major mechanical switch type operate and how it fits my style.  So, I had a chance to test out some Cherry MX linear switches at a local computer store.  You know, they are exactly what I expected.  Springy.

OK, I think I got my corny joke out of the system for now, but the switch is exactly what I thought it would be.  The feeling is same as press on a spring board or anything that uses a spring to provide resistance.  The switch gets harder to push down until it bottoms out in a rather linear fashion.  There’s no hints what so ever when it was activated or when hysteresis has completed.  Just plain old spring going up and down.  Now, there’s nothing wrong with that if that’s what someone likes.  I can see why this appeals to gamers because often key press timing and repeating speed means winning and losing.  Since the key resistance is the lowest at the beginning, by exerting little effort and learning by force feedback on the fingers, a gamer can easily tap out commands at lightning speed.  Feedback really is rather optional.  Why have something to distract you?  Makes sense I suppose.  I personally do like some tactile hints and feedbacks on what and how am I doing.  So, each to his/her own.  :)

The red Cherry MX switch is indeed less resistant than the black one.  I sense that I might accidentally activate a switch since it’s a habit of mine to rest my fingers on the keys.  This was one of the many things that drove me bananas with the Topre ergonomic key weight setup.  So, my feeling is that the red switches will appeal to the touch typists while the black and the clear ones are more for the traditional typist like me who likes to pound on the keys.  It’s great that Cherry and most of the mechanical switch vendors offer varying weights.  Options are good since almost no one types the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment