Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Ducky Legend first impression

One of the most striking features of Ducky Channel's Legend is its front cover plate.  It's a thick alumnium slab that's likely sand blasted for texture.  I got the version with blue LED with Cherry MX blue switches.  This way, I won't be confused to which one I got.  :)  Anyway, the LED light show are kind of interesting, but not a lot of utility for someone like me.  If I am working or playing in a darkened room, then the all key lights will provide some back lighting to the keys.  I can see that being a welcoming feature.  The animated functions or more precisely light shows are kind of neat, but rather distracting if you ask me.  I am partial to the rain drop pattern, but that's not available on the Legend.  I kind of like reactive mode, but I can see that it can be a security issue somewhere...  Oh well....

The LED lights are decent, and levels can be adjusted.  However, some of the keys are not lit evenly, probably because of fixed positioning of the LED and where the keycaps are etched to be clear.  Speaking of key caps.  It has a fairly smooth texture, I can feel the etched part of the keys exposing the clear plastic underneath.  Purportedly, it's also UV coated.  So, it should last quite sometime before showing any wear.  Because of a relative smooth texture, some grease can be easily observed in the high traffic area keys such as the home row.  The effect is kind of like what's going on with my SteelSeries Sensei RAW mouse mentioned earlier.  A quick wipe will clean it up tho.  The keycaps are broad and slightly cylindrical.  So, it's quite comfortable to rest on them.  The cable is what's in fashion right now, braided kind.  I am OK either way since this is a keyboard cable, it is not suppose to move around a lot....

The keyboard itself is nice, well built and tough.    The keyboard has a wedge shape.  So, the the top are already very raised up without deploying the feet.  So, I just use it without using the board feet.  I sense that the keys are stable with very little wobble, jitters and no rattling that I have seen.  I have already commented on the switch, so I won't repeat myself.  They behave exactly as one would expect from the Cherry MX blue.  However, the keyboard itself does take up a bit less space than the Das Keyboard, thus I was able to fit the board into a tighter arrangement at work.  So, I can see that a smaller foot print can have its advantages.

No comments:

Post a Comment