Monday, July 27, 2015

Topre Realforce TKL with 55g weighted keys first impression

As I promised that I would give Topre switches another try.  I did.  I decided to go with a uniformed weighted keyboard and mix things up a bit.  So, I got a Realforce TKL with 55g key weighting (SE08T0).  I knew that the ergo switches were a bit too light for me, so I wanted to try one with a greater resistance and see what happens.

Thus, this first focus is to test how I am will be doing with an uniformly weighted Topre keyboards.  I think I am doing a little bit better than the ergo weighted keyboard.  This one flows more normal and I think the problem I was having is gone.  It’s still a little touch sensitive, but the travel that is needed to activate the keys is much further down.  So, I am not activating them by accident anymore.  The 55g is the one I will recommend for people like me and wants a Topre keyboard.  Yay!  The bumping the-key-next-to-it typo problem is gone.  My typing velocity is picking up and I can slow down as much as I like.  I believe that I can start typing like normal with this keyboard again.  Even though it says 55g, I think it’s a bit lighter than the brown keys because one encounters the Topre switch resistance fairly early in the activation process as opposed to the middle of the key press with the Cherry MX switch family.  This is definitely an improvement over the ergo keys, which I was having a hard time dealing with.  So, This is much better.

So, for Topre, I think the 55g is the better for me because I really do make far fewer typos with it than with the other types.  Perhaps, I really do need the extra 10g of resistance.  On the other hand, the buckling spring might be getting a bit too hard on my feeble fingers now.   It was hard to press as I remembered it.  So, time to see if this Topre keyboard will beat the champion.  I would almost classify this one as a brown version of the Topre family.  I like it a lot so far.  Thus, now, I am not surprised that this one is the one that’s out of stock most often.  Very good.  It conveys the advantages of the Topre switches to me best.  I really am not a touch typist, so your mileage may vary.

Topre Realforce TKL comes in two different color versions and are available from Elitekeyboards.com, NCIX sometimes and Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment