Friday, August 7, 2015

Logi’s Orion Spark, G910

I should have noticed this earlier, but didn’t pay closer attention.  Apparently, Logitech too, wanted to capture a piece of the gamer’s keyboard market and decided that they can make a better switch then the common Cherry MX family has to offer.  Logi does market keyboard that has Cherry MX switches (the G710+ comes to mind).  However, it is possible that this might be another case of NIH (not invented here) and the company has set out to outdo Cherry.  On the other hand, I have heard enough whispers that Cherry simply couldn’t keep up with demand.  Therefore, Logitech may simply hedging its bets by going to another supplier.  I guess the general public will never know, but interesting to speculate none the less.

Omron mouse switches are reputed to be some of the better made ones out there and since Logi moves millions of mice, it makes sense that Omron would be involved in the new Logi collaboration.  The Romer-G switch is the result.  Supposedly, it address one glaring weakness of the Cherry MX switches, which is the LED lighting mechanism.  Obviously, the Cherry MX switches weren’t designed with lighting in mind back then as the key cap stem is right in the middle of the switch.  There are other advantages, but some are rather amusing, such as shorter travel distance to activation.

Anyhow, I am interested in testing the G910 sometimes when I have chance.  So, as usual, if I can source one with relative reasoned price, then I will see what I can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment