Friday, June 19, 2015

Matias quiet switch versus Cherry MX brown switch, round 1


Vs.


So, I have compared the Matias tactile switch to the Cherry MX blue.  Neither switch was perfect.  I thought that Matias one was too shaky for my taste while the MX blue just had too much of a chatter.  However, I got used to the chatter, but never did I get used to the wobble.  So, MX blue came out on top and earned a spot in my everyday use gears.

So, now that I go my little hands on the Matias quiet switches based keyboard, how does it compare my favorite thus far, the Cherry MX brown?  Both are fairly quiet switches.  The brown is more clicky or scratchy depending on who you ask, while the Matias has a slightly higher pitch clicking.  The Matias places the initial tactile resistance up front where as the Cherry, the tactile resistance is a little bit more into the downward keystroke.  Thus, the Matias switch has a closer feeling to a scissor switch or a Topre one.  Matias does have another tactile resistance somewhere in the middle of a keystroke, but it's rather subtle.  Some people calls it a ghost click.  I usually missed it, but I do notice it if I press the key slowly.  Speaking of which, I just noticed that the travel distance is a bit more shallow for the Matias switch than the Cherry, but not by much.  If I don't check them side by side, I probably won't even notice it.  Matias switches are also a bit more stiff.  So, it doesn't feel as light as say a Topre or a Cherry MX brown.  Typing on the Matias Laptop Pro is straight forward and retain many of the more whimsical characteristics of the Tactile Pro, except everything is taken down a notch or two.  It's an enjoyable experience typing and the noise will likely not bother anyone unless they are looking for total silence.

Would this be enough to dethrone the Cherry MX brown for me?  I don't think so.  However, I can now say that Matias quiet switch is in my recommended pile for those who like the ALPS switches or the old Apple extended keyboards and need quiet keyboards.  It's just about as quiet as some of the rubber dome or scissor switches keyboard such as the MS Sculpted Ergonomic Keyboard that I have tried.  I have a very positive outlook for the Matias quiet switch, unlike my previous encounter with the Matias tactile switch.  This makes me want to try the tactile pro and give it one more run and see what I missed the first time around.  The Matias quiet switch is a winner in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment