Thursday, March 10, 2016

Custom Silenced Topre keyboard impression

Well well well, just as I started to look into O-rings to silent Cherry MX keyboards I have at hand to experiment, I have gotten my hands on an aftermarket Topre Realforce keyboard.  It’s an 87UW (SE0900) that has been silenced using the O-rings (or discs in this case, sold by HyperSphere) mounted on the upside of the plungers or sliders to reduce the up stroke noise and a little grease to help things along.  The experience has been quite informative and interesting.  My first reaction is that this keyboard is fairly quiet, perhaps even more so than the Matias quiet click switch based keyboard.  I think it’s around the level of a good Chiclet keyboard such as Microsoft’s Sculpted Natural keyboard.  The other thing I noticed is that the restoration phase is a little more prolonged just enough to be noticeable.  This is caused by the disc during the up stroke phase as it absorb and compress to dampen the noise.  So, the clack sound is more really muted while the “thock” is present, just not as subdued as much.  No matter how I tried, I think this keyboard is definitely quieter than the classical Topre Realforce keyboards, which are not that noisy to start with.  Anyhow, it does modify the switch feel just a little for someone like me to notice.  So, the keys may not feel as fast as before.  By no means it’s slow, but perhaps a bit less snappy with less bite.  Instead, it has a more subdued and gentle feel.   Is it bad?  I think it’s a matter of preference.  I have not noticed it as an impediment or any reduction to my typing speed nor accuracy.  Just feels a little different.

So, for those people who really enjoy the sound of silence (at least for a mechanical keyboard), this is a worthwhile change.  However, because I am too chicken to do the mod myself and had someone else do the work, I paid a premium for it.  Therefore, this might be an even more expansive proposition than just buying a Realforce keyboard.  I always wondered why the silent version of the HHKB is so expansive.  Now, I have a pretty good idea.  I do recommend people to look into this type of keyboard if they love the Topre switch feel and prefers the more muted sounds with a little more gentle approach to things.  Another possible alternative is Ducky Channel’s Realforce keyboard.  The new ones have the impact absorption rings built-in and a different color cap to accommodate the additional part.  I hope to get my paws on those and see how they compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment