Thursday, March 17, 2016

Custom Silenced Topre keyboard impression part 2

Now, because I have already gone through a few Topre keyboard with different weight levels, I thought I should share my more of my impression about it.  Now, this is probably one of the most intriguing keyboard besides the high profile, 104UG as it is different in a few ways from the mainstream, if you can call Topre switch keyboards that.  The key weight is calibrated to around 45g, uniform.  Yet, the keys feels softer than the ones on the 104UG, also with 45g weighting.  I think the O-rings (discs in this case) attributed to the slight decrease in tension as it aid the down force during its restoration phase.  As I mentioned, the return phase is just a little less snappy and gentler.  So, it’s something that one might have to get used to if the user is used to very fast reacting switches.  It’s almost like the fingers are waiting for the keys to come back up.  A little strange at first I must admit.

The downward keystroke feels a bit more like pushing on a piece of felt, slightly less smooth than the classic Topre switch feel.  Again, this is probably because of the additional material rubbing against the plunger.  Even with grease to ease the friction a bit, I can still sense it.  It’s almost like the Cherry MX brown switch feel, but far less pronounced and lasts the entire stroke, rather than at the beginning.  So, this may be an issue for someone who prizes the Topre buttery smoothness, but I really like the MX brown.  So, it doesn’t bother me one bit.  My overall sense with the silent mod is that the keyboard is definitely quieter than stock version, but the tactile sensation has dull a bit and everything is slower, softer and gentler in a way.

So, to silence any keyboard comes with a price, having to make trade-offs, as physics dictates.  There is no free lunch I suppose.  Overall, the silenced Topre Keyboard still offers a high quality typing experience, but one must be aware that there’s something traded away to bring in the silent treatment….

No comments:

Post a Comment