Thursday, March 31, 2016

Keyboard Repair

image from Clipart Panda
Because I have been trying out many different keyboards, I have quite been do putting them through the paces.  Naturally, I eventually broke one.  Nope, I didn’t break the key switch or anything like that.  That would probably take considerable use to say the least. It was the volume control knob.  So, I get to experience what warranty repair keyboard is like with a reputable company.

Filing a support ticket is pretty straight forward.  I just go to the website, create an account and then a support ticket by providing the information requested.  The company obviously asked about the issue and when I filed for repair, they wanted to make sure that I bought the keyboard within the warranty period.  Fair enough.  Since I got this particular keyboard from newegg.com, I just went there and grabbed the invoice.  Within hours after posting the ticket, a support staff send back a shipping label and RMA form so that I can ship the keyboard to its repair depot.  Perhaps not too surprisingly, I am guessing that the repair service is rendered by a 3rd party.  It doesn’t matter to be honest because as long as the repair is done correctly, then it’s really a non-issue.

After a week or so, a notice notified me that the repaired keyboard is on its way.  I quickly tested the returned keyboard after repair.  No, the service center repaired the board rather than sending me a refurbished one.  This is more or less a traditional repair job rather just send me another used board that was repaired previously.  So, I got my old one back and I am quite pleased with the process thus far.  The only thing they don’t do is cross ship.  However, it is reasonable that it’s by special request or customers that are of great importance.  i.e., must keep the corporate account or something like that.  I understand that some will not like the idea of sending in a keyboard for repair, if that is the only keyboard around.  I happen to have many boards around so the work continues.  In any case, perhaps the service desk would be willing to do a cross ship if someone explains the situation.

Overall, it was an interesting experience, but not something I would like to do every day.  However, this is another example that one should purchase things from reputable source and having a good company willing to back their products.  So, I am glad to see that they have fulfilled their end of the bargain rather than cut bait and ran.



No comments:

Post a Comment