Thursday, December 3, 2015

Yeah, Topre wins this round…. for now....

As much as I hate to admit it, I have come to love Topre switch based keyboard.  That means a lot of money sunk into a keyboard that’s close to a rubber dome, rather than a true mechanical switch keyboard such as the Cherry MX.  I really enjoy using Cherry MX based keyboard as well.  I love both the MX Brown and MX blue.  I most certainly enjoy my time with the buckling spring.  It’s so much fun to drive a few people nuts with that board.  Sometimes….  So, I am not that picky to be honest.  Then again, please no variable force keyboards please.  I simply cannot abide by that.  It was an interesting experiment and somewhat tainted my views of Topre switch for quite some time.

The one thing I truly value in a Topre switch is the smoothness.  It’s something that Topre has perfected and hard to put a finger on it.  Pun intended.  However, I am beginning to hear good things about Gateron.  Yes, Gateron is one of the many Cherry MX cloners, but it seems to begin to claim a certain personality of its own: smoothness.  Perhaps it was choices of plastic and/or slight different position of actuation and hysteresis make it appear to do so.  I don’t know.  However, I am now quite eager to evaluate a Gateron based switch keyboard and see what happens.  If it does have that prized smoothness that I found Topre to be so endearing, then it would be an excellent and economical choice.  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Creativity of writer is purely impressive. It has touched to the level of expertise with his writing. Everything is up to the mark. Written perfectly and I can use such information for my coming assignment. Silent Red Keyboard

    ReplyDelete