Wednesday, September 16, 2015

104UG versus uniform 55g TKL, part 2

More and more typing on the Topre UG104 has generated a better response from me than from the 55g.  The 55g indeed adapts very quickly, but didn’t do much from distinguish itself from the rest of the pack.  So, for Topre to win, it has to be more than just being subtly better.  The 55g is subtly better, but not ostensibly better.  Therefore, those who really appreciate its qualities, 55g is the perfect one to get into.  The 104UG on the other hand, behaves like a movie star.  One either adapts its unusual key cap design mechanism or GTFO.  This keyboard also carries the “don’t hate me because I am beautiful” attitude to the max.

104UG indeed is something that’s quite impressive.  The high key design certainly takes some to get used to.  I really took my sweet time.  However, I do have fun while typing on this keyboard and worry less about correcting the errors.  The tactile feedback now is at two levels.  First, where the fingers are rested and then the key press themselves.  So, by going that extra mile, Topre succeeded in creating a new keyboard typing experience that’s not like anything out there.

Thus, for an unusual keyboard typing experience, the 104UG is something to try.  However, Topre switch and the high profile key cap design is not for everyone.  So, if someone with a more conventional taste in keyboarding, then the uniform 45g or 55g would be my first try instead of the 104UG.  From my point of view, the 104UG is the epitome of Topre keyboard design philosophy.  The only issue is price….  At $300 USD, it is a tough pill to swallow….  As I said, it’s that movie star attitude again…..

No comments:

Post a Comment