Friday, September 25, 2015

One interesting question

There is a supposition that better designed keyboard makes someone a better typist.  Of course, what is a better designed keyboard is up for debate.  However, I am wondering about this question myself.  My primary motivation initially was simply to get a keyboard that’s better for my hands.  I was having some rough spots using an old keyboard that is getting too stiff for me type within reason.  So, it’s more of an ergonomic reason than anything else.  However, I do want to look into the theory that some keyboards can make someone a better typist, pending on the style of course.  Let’ suppose that a touch typist will likely dread the buckling spring keyboard made by Unicomp.  But who knows, by building up the finger muscles with the buckling spring switches, these “trained” touch typists would go to their favorite keyboards and just dance because everything is suddenly so light.

I don’t know how to put this idea to the test, but it is definitely appealing.  However, without properly thought out experiments and controls, it’s tough to draw any reasonable conclusion or even to demonstrate a solid correlation.  I am sure keyboard makers are also trying to come up new ways to justify the superiority of their wares.  What better way to make a sale than to demonstrate that keyboard X will make you a better typist, or better yet, a better person.  For now, I believe the focus is on reaction time to make someone a better gamer rather than making someone a better typist.  Perhaps someday that will come.  We will see….

No comments:

Post a Comment