Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Opinions, changed, or as they say, evolved

It’s interesting to read back on my own writing to see how my views of certain things has changed or how it stubbornly stayed the same.  For example, my love for the Cherry MX brown has been relatively stable.  And, no matter how hard I tried, I still can’t get used to the Matias tactile clicky switch.  On the other hand, it took me a while to begin to like the Cherry MX blue and eventually come to enjoy the switch personality on its own merit.  I mostly softened up my view of the Matias family after a good encounter with the Matias quiet tactile.  It was really a revelation that how little things can change the characteristics of switch and at this level, every little things count.  The buckling spring mechanism was something that was just as how I remembered it.  Using it some more confirms that it really is an acquired taste.  It’s likely not my cup of tea since my fingers are not strong enough yet to type on that board all day long still.

The thing that swings around the most surrounds the Topre switches.  Initially, it was love at first sight.  However, upon closer examination, I simply cannot abide by some of its behaviors.  Coming from my experience with the Matias, I decided to try another switch type within the same family and see how it goes.  Indeed, it was hard to get used to, like the Cherry MX blue had been.  However, my persistence paid off and now, I also think very highly of the Topre switches, within a certain configuration parameters of course.  :)  Oh, the other thing is that I am beginning to bottom out with less fury now as my fingers are adapting to the force needed to just push the buttons till it touches the bottom.  I still bottom out quite a bit, but in somewhat less frequency as well.  I seems to know when to stop as time goes on.  This is good development as the impact can slowly damage the joints.

No comments:

Post a Comment