Saturday, June 20, 2015

Digging into Topre switch issue

For some reason, I was not able to go at my regular pace with the Topre Realforce keyboard.  Indeed, I felt like I have to slow down and type more deliberately and accurately.  I have been thinking about this for a while and I wasn't able to pin-point the reason.  However, I am beginning to make some progress as to why.

For one reason or another, the activation point for the Topre switch is really close to the top, like around 1mm or so.  Even though the force distance diagram is shown otherwise.  It shows that the switch is activated around 2mm or so. However, I can activate a key just by barely bumping it.  Because it's a electrostatic capacitance switch, it can actually sense distance traveled.  In fact, Topre is working on bring this type of pressure sensitive keyboard to the market according to Tech Report.  So, either I am sparky and can trigger a voltage change when I touch the key cap or the keyboard is pre-configured for a shallow activation point.  I was hoping to find some firmware that can change the activation point, but alas no such luck.  So, there's no way for me to try that theory out.

Because it had such shallow activation point, when I type fast, the finger movements might have triggered the switch, thus making more typos.  Besides, some of these switches take very little force to activate to begin with.  So, it's possible that I just bump them when my fingers return to the home row.  The only way to avoid this problem is to float the fingers above the keys like touch typists do.  Thus, I am beginning to think that the Topre Realforce is perfect for those people who really like scissor switches based keyboards or touch typist.  For a traditional typist like me who tend to bottom out on most key strokes, the remaining 3mm travel distance after activation is merely ceremonial.  Anyway, further research is required.  Maybe some of the keys are just too light for me, even for my little pinkie.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment