Friday, June 5, 2015

Getting off topic for a moment…. Mechanical keyboard are cool, anything interesting in the mouse front?

After more than a decade of faithful service, my dear Microsoft Trackball Explorer (MS TE) is exhibiting signs of old age and functional deterioration just like its buddy, the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000.  I have been using a trackball device for a long time.  Before the MS Trackball Explorer was the Logitech Trackman FX, which also lasted a long time before the left click button finally stopped working.  The scroll wheel on the MS Trackball Explorer is now scrolling screens at random at neck breaking velocity.  Some extensive cleaning sessions helped, but only temporarily restore its sanity.


So, now, I am on a quest for a replacement trackball or mouse as well after settling down on mechanical keyboards.  I am thinking about switching back to a mouse.  I have no problem using a mouse at all.  I just like trackballs more.  So far none of trackball designs jump out at me because I prefer the off center design.  I am also definitely more of the fingers guy rather than a thumb guy when it comes to trackballs.  The MS TE design is just about perfect for someone like me.  However, there's no design like that in the market today.  I guess trackballs are not popular and thus MS let go of such fabulous design and stop making more of them long before this one’s expiration date.  Their latest mouse driver software won’t support it anymore.  I had to revert to an older version to get it to work with Windows 8.1.  Signs of times, but I cling to this until finally, it’s time to err… Let it go I guess.  Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment