Tuesday, June 16, 2015

SteelSeries Sensei RAW mouse impression

This mouse has  similar shape to the classic MS IntelliMouse Optical.  So, it's fairly large and familiar.  Out of the box, the buttons are configured for right handed user.  So, I need to switch the buttons over to the left handed user profile.  The primary button switch is handled by the default Windows control panel.  So, there's no need for me swap button 1 and button 2.  Button 3 and 4 are the ones I need to move from the left side of the mouse to the right side.

To do so, I need to download the SteelSeries Engine 3 utility to do so.  The software is fairly typical fare of a gaming related stuff with dark and high contrast themes.  Took me a bit to figure out how to use it, but after I program the buttons and other stuff, I saved the configuration to the mouse's onboard memory.  Then, I  moved it to another computer to see if the profile has set in without any configuration on my part.

Yup.  So, the mouse remembers the button arrangements and the light level.  It's a little silly for me in an office setting, I just keep the illumination to about half level.  I also tuned down the DPI setting a bit since I am not gaming, there's no need for me to bounce from one end of the screen to the other side with a small flick.  In fact, I need more precision at work.  There is no additional software to install.  The mouse appears to be a MS compatible mouse.  So, perfect for a locked-down work machine that I cannot do much configuration beyond swapping the mouse buttons.  The mouse is tracking smoothly and just works without much effort on my part.  Good.

The rubber coating changes appearance after some use.  I think some spots look slick where my palm and fingers are.  It doesn't bother me, but for some neat freaks, this could be a deal breaker.  Then again, if I just put my whole hand all over, then one won't notice right?  Hehehehe...  Now, that's a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment