Thursday, June 4, 2015

After not using a mechanical keyboard for a while… What happens?

Do I miss it?  I think so.  I have been away for another trip and one of the few things that I was scheming about is to get a portable keyboard to use while traveling.  Do I like my laptop keyboard?  Yeah, I do.  It is actually rather good compared to other laptop keyboards I used.  So, this is matter of good versus better.  Some other laptops I have experience with?  Absolutely need an external keyboard.  I suppose that by settling with a Cherry MX type switches, I like the way they imaged tactile mechanical switches.  I really wished that Matias switches would be more stable since I really enjoyed the springy tactile key action.  Unfortunately, the key wobble and jitter really got to me.  I know that some people really like that kind of keyboard because it gives off an exciting vibe, but that doesn’t appeal to me.  So, depending on the person, I might recommend trying a Matias board and some will probably want to stay away from.  I wonder if I settle with a Topre switch, maybe moving back and forth to the scissor switches keyboard would be a simple change in the keystroke distance and force adjustment.


I do enjoy typing on a mechanical keyboard.  It’s much easier to focus on what’s being written, rather than on how to get those characters there.  So, I can concentrate on other things and let the subconscious take care of the mechanics.  That’s probably the biggest pay-off thus far.  

No comments:

Post a Comment