Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Testing the Topre keyboard some more

Yup.  The Realforce keyboard is going to take some more getting used to.  I just don't know what to make of it after the initial awe.  The Cherry MX switches I adapted to pretty quickly.  This one, I am having trouble with the ergonomic key weighting.  So, the next time (if I could afford to get another one to try) I get will be uniform weighted to see if I like that better.  I thought it would be cool to have varying key weights, but I think it's more of a hindrance at this point.  When my fingers become feebler, this will then be a welcoming feature I guess.

One main difference between this and a rubber dome keyboard I detected is that the Topre switches feel quicker, more nimble.  The rubber dome reset phase seems a little sluggish for typing speed while the Topre ones have springs to assist the restoration phase.  So, that part I do appreciate.  On the other hand, the force-distance curve from the Topre switch does indicate rubber-dome like behavior.  So, the Topre switches are not that much different from really well made rubber domes switches.  The switches are just so smooth that someone might want to just press the keys to relax.  I know I do.  I guess that's one of the design goals of the keyboard.

So, I think I like the Cherry MX switches a little more.  I will have to audition the Realforce keyboard as a long term study.  So far, the brown switch is on top of the heap.  The Topre Realforce is close behind with the blue a few steps right next to it.  I have a feeling that if I am using a uniform key weighting, I will like this more.  So much for the variable key weighting for me.  Oh well....

No comments:

Post a Comment