Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Chance encounter with a Logitech K350

Someone in the family had recently gotten a Logitech K350 wireless keyboard.  It is part of a bundle that included the M510 wireless mouse call MK550.  Although Logitech sells the mouse separately, the K350 doesn't appear to be listed as one of the keyboards on their website.  I am pretty sure that one can easily find one at other retailers tho.

Anyway, why did the keyboard look so familiar?  I suddenly realized why.  I had a similar setup a while back when it was called Cordless Desktop Wave.  I have lost the mini-receiver and thus the setup had been banished to a closet in hope that I will find the receiver somehow.  The MK550 is the updated version that uses Logitech's vaulted Unifying Receiver, which I like a lot.  I remember the wireless function didn't work well for me because they were used on a HTPC setup.  The keyboard and mouse were too far from the mini-receiver and I never bother with them after the HTPC was decommissioned.  Somehow the min-receiver disappeared and I am left with two peripherals that I can't use or give them away to a nicer home and people who will appreciate them more.

Let's just say that I wasn't a fan of the wave design coming from a standard or a split ergonomic design keyboard.  I found that I keep bumping into the taller keys in the height of the wave, which is where the index fingers are.  The low points of the wave are where the ring fingers are.  The keyboard layout is a bow curve shape where the bend is made toward the space bar to mimic a split blocks design, instead of actually splitting two blocks like the old ergonomic MS design.  I think one of MS' newer keyboard design also shares a similar shape.  This must be a popular design since it's still in production.  So, I think this just me being me again.....

The key action on the old wave board was not great if I recall.  However, the K350 felt much better.  Kudos to Logitech for improving the key actions.  It's smoother and cleaner than the harsh and unforgiving key action of the old cordless wave keyboard.  Yup, just got the old one out and boy I did not miss it.....  Then again, maybe the rubber has deteriorated somehwat after being stored for so long.  Therefore, it feels a lot worse than it was.  Anyway, at this point, maybe it's a good thing that I lost the mini-receiver because I don't want to inflict the pain on someone else.  Back to the closet you go.



No comments:

Post a Comment