Sunday, May 17, 2015

Cherry MX blue versus brown switches, round 1

Now that I have two Das 4 Professional keyboards with the Cherry MX blue switches on one and brown switches on the other, I can begin to compare the switch differences rather than evaluating the keyboard as a complete package.  Simply comparing the Das 4 Keyboard to the Rosewill with the same switch, to me, the boards convey different experiences.  I think I just like the Das 4 Pro design more than the minimalist Rosewill RK9000V2.  Personal preference strikes again.

Both Das 4 keyboards feel solid and confident.  I have no issues with the build quality.  Finally, I can focus strictly on the switches themselves.  OK, the switches....  What's the difference?  Well, aside from the obvious difference in the tactile and auditory experience, for some reason, the blue switches just don't build confidence in me while I type.  I just can't put my fingers on it.  I just feel more edgy while typing on the blue switches.  I am beginning to think that the sounds and the tactile bump experience are distracting me somehow.  The Cherry MX brown instead, is more understated, more in control.  I don't feel like I am rushing at something, but can take my time.  I strongly suspect that my insistence on liking the blue switches are beginning to breakdown after spending some time to get to know the switch personalities.

If my first experience with the mechanical keyboards in general was the blue switches, maybe the story might have been different.  I was ready to embrace the clicky, high volume world of mechanical keyboard.  However, the brown version got here first and the brown switches weren't that far of a departure from my comfortable rubber-dome world feel, which like a well worn pair of shoes I have spent a long time with.  I just felt more comfortable jumping in with 2 feet when I am using the brown switches.  Ha, so much for change I suppose.  At this rate, I might as well start looking at a Topre switch based keyboard.  Perhaps once I get more used to the brown one, I will give the blue switch another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment