Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Thinking about the scissor switch force-distance curves

I am beginning to see that the force-distance curves are very useful tools to depict that's going on with key switches.  It's also rather useful comparing different type of switches.  At first, it's pretty overwhelming, but after a while, it becomes rather intuitive and makes a lot of sense.

Now, I can't resist taking a peek at the force-distance curves of a scissor switch.  Not surprisingly, the scissor switch shares the same shape with a standard rubber dome switch.  Wow, talk about steep slopes in both directions.  Because of the height limitation, I guess that's how it is.  However, I am quite surprised by the activation force needed.  It's much greater than a standard membrane type.  Maybe that's why I tend to pound on my laptop keyboard.


No comments:

Post a Comment