Friday, May 15, 2015

Key legends differences

Now that I have two different mechanical keyboards to do a compare and contrast besides the switches and different designs, the technology behind the key caps printing is different as well.  The Das Keyboard 4 Pro I have received likely used a hard UV coating method as in their newer keyboards.  The result is a smooth decal like appearance and feel.  I can kind of feel the decals since it does change the surface feel of the keys as I run my finger over the key legend.  However, it's rather subtle change and not worth fussing over.  On the other hand, the Rosewill RK9000V2 supposedly had laser etched keys, according to the research done by keychatter.com.  Well, for the Rosewill one, I can feel and see that the key legend as it is etched and/or filled with ink.  One can feel the legend on the key caps as raised bump.  It doesn't appear to bother me either.  The $100 dollar question of course is the longevity of the legends.  Since both keyboards are relatively new, I guess only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment