Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Wait a minute.... What's with the key legends?

One thing I just noticed is that my Das Keyboard key legends look different than the product photos shown on Das Keyboard's website.  Not only that, the legends appears to be printed with a coating applied.  The look of it is not that different from what I see on the MS Natural Erog 4K board.  It's almost like decals that one can find on a Testors' model airplane kits.  That's strange; I thought the Das Keyboard 4 Pro legends are supposed to be laser-etched.

After some more staring at and examining the photos, I notice that the key legend arrangement is almost the same as their newer processional 4 keyboard line designed for the Macs.  Actually, it's the same, except that I have PC key cap set rather the one for Macs.  The placement, fonts and other things appear to be the same as the new type rather than the one featured in the product photos.  The Mac key caps are UV coated, rather than laser-etched.  That might explain the decal like look.  So, if that's the case, I think this is just to bring key cap production to a single process rather than using two different methods.  I am OK with that.  Just a little surprised since I was wondering what laser-etched key caps feel like.  Does it change anything?  Not really.  What I care about this the durability and the key feel.  Just out of curiosity, I flipped the keyboard back to check the back plate and I think this is the 1.2 version.  So, they probably made some minor changes and just forgot to update the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment