Sunday, May 10, 2015

Speaking of ergonomic mechanical keyboards

Well, I did some more searches on ergonomic mechanical keyboards.  Since I was coming from the Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, I might as well see if I can get the best of both worlds, assuming that I like mechanical switches.  First Google search turned up Truly Ergonomic Keyboard (TEK) and of course, the famous Kinesis Advantage Keyboard.  Both feature the split ergonomic design which I have been using.  Not that I am adverse to a traditional layout, but after years using a split ergonomic design like the Microsoft (MS) ergo keyboard lines, I figure I should at least take a good look.

Both keyboards are radically different from the MS designs.  TEK layout is really different, It is still QWERTY, but features straight matrix rather than the traditional staggered layout for the keys.  Also, a lot of the non-alphanumeric keys are moved to the middle.  Radical changes indeed.  Kinesis' difference is the sunken, bowl shape pit areas for the fingers and moved some of the non-alphanumeric keys to the center as well, but kept the staggered key columns.  Kinesis uses Cherry MX brown while the new TEK use with Kailh Next Generation switches which are basically copies of the Cherry blue and brown.  TEK has a third option, which does use Cherry MX white for firmer keystroke responses.  From the look of it, TEK's older refurbished keyboards have Cherry brown or blue switches.  Both kinds have their legions of fans and detractors.  I am not surprised, since keyboard preferences are quite personal.

Both priced well north of $200 US dollars.  Perhaps a bit too rich for my blood.  Besides, I have already ordered 2 new mechanical keyboards to try already.  I am too chicken to try them out at this time.  Maybe next round.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment