Friday, May 22, 2015

Let me give Matias tactile switch a chance

I must say that I was intrigued by Mr. Edgar Matias' interview and his responses to the Reddit's AMA.  So, I decided to give one of his keyboards a whirl.  Since the tactile version is the one that tries to replicate the old Apple Extended Keyboard feel, that's the one I will go for.  Because Matias is based in Canada, it's a bit hard for me to get my hands on one in the States.  However, I found that Mechanicalkeyboards.com do sell them in the US.

Matias makes two versions of the ALPS compatible switches.  One is the traditional tactile version, which emulates the old ALPS switches found on older Apple Mac keyboards.  I guess the clicky action got to some people, so Matias also produces a quiet version with built-in dampers within the switch.  Purportedly, their quiet switch is one of the quietest.  Well, I don't have a need for a super quiet keyboard right now.  However, I can see the applications and if I ever need one, I will keep that in mind.  Despite my better judgement, nostalgia got to me and I went with the tactile version, given my preference for the quieter Cherry MX brown switches.  Maybe I will try the quiet one next time if the tactile version tryout goes well.  Matias is much more Mac centered and thus not all of the product lines are available for the PC crowd.  Also, the Mac keyboards are cheaper compared to their PC counterpart.  This is rather different for once.  I guess they must have more Mac clients then PC guys who wondered in.  Took me a while, but I finally figured out their codes for each platform.  The PC versions are black and the Mac versions are white.  Anyway, let's see in a bit how I like the tactile Matias switches.

No comments:

Post a Comment