Thursday, May 21, 2015

Another round with scissor switches keyboard

So, how does scissor based board on a laptop compare to a mechanical keyboard with say Cherry MX brown switches?  I had spent a few days with my old laptop on travel and yes, I can't wait to get my hands back on the mechanical switches based keyboard.  I like the scissor based keyboard on my laptop.  I do like it compared to some standard issued boards.  However, I miss the deeper key travels and the more ergonomically keycaps design of the traditional keyboard.  My fingers sometime wonder or slip off because it's more flat.  It doesn't happen often, but just much more rare with a cylindrical keycap surface.  Some people swear by the Chiclets design.  I am kind of indifferent mostly because I am not a touch typist.  Therefore, I like having a long keystroke travel with meaningful tactile feedback.  However, I can tolerate the key actions on my personal laptop.  Just sometimes, the keyboard flexes a bit, which is not exactly an endorsing sign of quality.  As noted before, the activation force need is more than I thought.  So, who knows.....

The work issued laptop on the other hand, does have a pretty bad keyboard, I must say.  The keycaps shape is indeed cylindrical on the top, but it's textbook mushy, squeaky, gummy, grainy and uneven key action.  I pretty much have to bottom out to make sure the keys register.  It seems to have a deeper key travel than what I found on my personal machine, but simply doesn't make a difference.  It has a harsh, rough, sticky bounce back.  It's actually my bad experience with this keyboard that drove me to start thinking about replacing the computer keyboards I use.  One thing led to another I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment