Sunday, May 10, 2015

Beginning of the journey into mechanical keyboards

As a longtime and faithful reader of Tech Report, I finally decided to take the plunge into the world of mechanical keyboards.  I have used a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 for years and was not planning to switch.  Honestly, I never thought of it, even after reading countless articles about those fancy mechanical keyboards.  I was happy with an ergonomic design and it served my purpose.  Why change all of the sudden?  Well, for some reason, I began to notice that I was having trouble typing on the keyboard.  Perhaps something was wearing out.  Keystrokes took more effort and the keystroke feedback were, let's just say less than ideal.  For the first time, it felt mushy and squishy.  Never felt that before.  Must be getting old or something.  (Either it's me or the keyboard, likely both....)  Just as it is with life, Tech Report published a review article on a revision of a Rosewill's RK9000 board, the RK9000V2, aptly named....

"Oh why not?" I thought.  I decided to try the Cherry MX blue version and ordered it from Newegg.  I have been buying from newegg.com for a long time, so I trust the service.  My work and hobby now demands more writing.  So, I thought, why not get a blue type after a cursory reading of the various kind of switches?  I don't game that much and I kind of fancy a tactile and noise feedback just like the old days.  So into the shopping cart it goes.

Then I thought to myself, why not check out the brown switch one as well?  From the crowd consensus, it's the most popular Cherry MX switches.  I didn't want to get the same Roseweill keyboard again just because.  Someone had mentioned Das Keyboard, so I did some more research.  It's definitely more expansive, but I like the idea of dedicated media control keys and the volume knob on the 4 Professional version.  Aside from the ergonomic split, those things would be what I will miss if I change keyboard from the MS ergo 4K.  Yeah, I knew that I can use the Fn keys with some other keyboards, but like many, I am rather lazy.  If I can get away with pressing just 1 key, why bother?  So, into the shopping cart it goes.

Now, I just have to wait till they show up.  Too cheap to pay more for faster shipping, so I just have to deal with the suspense waiting....

No comments:

Post a Comment