Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard first typing impression

The Matias Tactile Pro keyboard has a glossy top cover.  Looks like if I want to keep it looking clean and cool, I will have actually wipe it once a while.  Looks fabulous tho.  Like many of the keyboards, this one comes with 3 USB2 ports.  One on each side, and another one along the long spine where the keyboard cable come out.  Even though it looks light, it's not.  It has some weight to it, which will help with stability.

First thing I noticed about the keystroke is that it's has more of spring like sound like a slinky, rather than the high pitched chat that Cherry MX blue switches have.  However, I think I have got used to the high pitches.  Thus it's not as bad as as it was.  This keyboard is fairly loud compared to Das Keyboard with Cherry MX brown switches.  What might start to bother me though, this the key wobble.  When I strike the key, the wobble due to the spring action is a lot more than I have anticipated.  So, I don't feel like I am typing with confidence.  The wobble somehow makes me a bit nervous like the Cherry MX blue switches before I got used to them on a more stable platform.  Perhaps it's because I am more of a tactile learner.  If something doesn't feel firm, I think it subconsciously changes my perception of its stability.  I do enjoy the spring sound that it makes.  It has that more classic noise like the keyboards in the 80s.

One thing I noticed is that if I lay the keyboard down flat, rather than engaging the bottom feet or flaps, I sense more stability.  Hmmm...  No wonder the Das Keyboard feel so stable to me because the incline is much lower, even with the ruler on the bottom.

I think for me, the jury is still out for the clicky type keyboard in general.  I am just so nervous when typing on the Matias keyboard even more than operating the Cherry MX blues.  I just don't know why.  This is an issue if it continues.  Is it the rest pad, or something else, I can't really tell.  This is not a fair shake for the design, I am sure.  I think I just need more time to get used to it.  Maybe too much coffee will do this to you.  Oh well.....

No comments:

Post a Comment