Saturday, May 23, 2015

Microsoft Sculpted Ergonomic Keyboard first impression

I guess I just can't say no to another Microsoft keyboard design.  I have been using their ergonomic keyboard since the first Natural Ergonomic Keyboard way back then.  So, as I go through the keyboard tryouts, I will take another look at one of their newest ergonomic design and give it a fair shake.  Right now, I am a mechanical keyboard convert.  So, I think this revisit will give me a fresh look form a different perspective now.

MS has made some substantial change to its split sculpted ergonomic design.  The key switch has switched from rubber dome over to scissor type, no pun intended.  Therefore, this split ergo design is more closely related to a laptop Chiclets type keyboard or Apple's Mac keyboards than its ancestors.  Anyway, the scissor switches are fairly pleasant to use.  The travel distance is shorter than a traditional keyboard, but seems a little deeper than a laptop ones.  The key action is crisp, smooth and responsive.  It's not really tactile since it's a scissor switch, but it's very quiet.  More quiet than most keyboard I have heard in person.  The keycaps are large, but not totally flat, the corners are slight raised to reduce slippage.  The legends are printed with coating on top.  I must say that the keyboard is very pleasant to use.  If I have not encountered the mechanical keyboards, this one will be the replacement.  However, I still do miss the longer keystroke distance and the subtle tactile feel a mechanical keyboard offers.  So, I will stick with Das Keyboard for now.  However, I would recommend this board to anyone who likes scissor switch based keyboard.  I am tempted to get one for my laptop's docking station.....  Let me think about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment