Monday, May 25, 2015

MS Sculpted Ergonomic keyboard impression, part 2

After spending some quality time with this keyboard.  I must say that it does fit a like using a pair of old gloves.  It's very comfortable to use and somewhat feels like using my old MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 because of the split ergo design.  I must say that I thought this doesn't have any tactile action.  However, upon closer examination, as with any scissor based switches, the tactile action is really up at the front because of the short travel distance it can afford.  Therefore, it's almost like all or nothing.  Again, this observation is confirmed when looking at the force-distance curve.  Everything is just compress together.  So, everything feels faster and more steep compared to a rubber dome or a mechanical switch.

A traditional typist like me will bottom out with a scissor switches based keyboard almost all the time.  Well, I bottom out with a Cherry MX switches most of the time.  When I bottom out while typing on the sculpted ergo keyboard, there's very little sound and shock produced.  I wonder if some sound dampening engineering are present.  Without opening it it up, I can only speculate I suppose.  All in all, this is like typing on a really high quality laptop keyboard as it should be.  This is one of the best scissor switches based keyboard I have used so far.  Maybe I will find and borrow a nice Thinkpad or a Macbook and try their keyboards out and see.  It's pretty tough to best this one out right I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment